Monday, August 31, 2009

The Lone Pumpkin

Short update for y'all...

After all my excitement over the pumpkins, only one will emerge. It's about 5 inches in diameter, mostly green but turning orange on the top. I don't think it will make a pie and any jack-o-lantern attempt might require an exact-o knife. This year was my first attempt and I've learned plenty. Here's my short list:

-I need to pay attention to when the vine is flowering and do some forced pollination. Luckily, I watched Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs dude) do it on TV recently.

-Pumpkins will go on their own 10-20 gallon planter. That way I won't have to worry about them messing with my other fruits and vegetables and perhaps (without the competition) I can get multiple decent sized pumpkins.

-I need to get my garden on a watering/fertilizing cycle. My version of organic (i.e. neglecting the garden) has yielded less than desirable results, pumpkins aside.

I think I'm going to pull up everything but the cat mint and English lavender come fall. With a fresh perspective and new plants, I think I'll be able to make something I'm really proud of. Look for more posting next Spring, might not have a post on here for a while. Please take a look at my new blog on Kung Fu, might have a blog on my band (www.everysingledayband.com) coming soon.

May your thumbs be green and your gardens organic. See you next year!

No comments: