Monday, May 17, 2010

Signs of Fruit

Compared to years past, I've been doing a nice job on the garden this Spring. (Ouch, I just pulled a muscle patting myself on the back) The beds are both weed free, despite a little clover, and I've been bonsai'ing the crap out of my strawberries, tomatoes and red pepper plants. My meddling doesn't show for much with the strawberries and peppers (other than the plants generally looking greener than they should) but the tomatoes are starting to take on a distinct pine tree shape. I'm excited to see what I can do once they really start growing in July, assuming my excitement doesn't wane too much. I'm envisioning a nice Christmas tree shaped cherry tomato plant...

The catnip has started to bloom. Columns of pretty purple flowers (and you thought I was some knuckle dragging Neanderthal) popping up everywhere, delighting man (i.e. me), cat, and hornet alike. I used to view the hornets as a nuisance but after watching them a little bit yesterday, they seem to be doing a fine job pollinating the garden, especially the mint and the strawberries. I'd rather have bees but hey, beggars can't be choosers and as long as they don't sting me in the ass, I'll count my blessings.

I just got my first box of miracle grow and I'm fertilizing tonight. (I know, such a cheater) Couldn't be more excited, wish me luck!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Only an old person would pull a muscle patting their back :P

The Sylvan Dragon said...

Oooh, burn! (you do get a gold star for being the 1st person to leave a comment though Ann)